Lying off the beaten path in the Northwest reaches of the Sichuan Province, Dagu Glacier National Park is one of the youngest additions to China’s National Park System. Surrounded by pristine mountain landscapes and Tibetan villages, the National Park features a modern infrastructure allowing visitors to travel to the glacier itself, at 4480 meters of elevation with relative ease. Once atop, the surrounding landscapes below you give the impression of being on top of the world. Best of all, being one of China’s newer national parks, and not carrying the fame of other parks, it is relatively uncrowded compared to other more famous attractions, but offers no less of a spectacular experience.
Inside and outside the park there are a plethora of small villages that dot the mountainsides. These traditional villages offer insight to the local lifestyle and are a host to a few festivals throughout the year. Additionally, there are a number of monasteries in the area that display the beauty of the Tibetan religious arts. Highlights of this trip include visits to local villages, the monasteries, and the park itself.
The planned itinerary is as follows:
– Morning: Depart from Chengdu and arrive in HeiShui.
– Afternoon/Evening: Explore the town and have dinner in a Tibetan restaurant. Optional lecture on landscape photography.
– Enjoy a full day of exploration as we take the worlds highest cable car to the glacier. Once inside we will explore the park’s natural beauty as well as stopping by a couple of Tibetan villages within the park. If time allows, we will explore another village outside of the park as well.
– Morning: We will leave the hotel and make our way to a mountain village where we will interact with the locals and get a feeling for their way of life.
– Afternoon: We’ll explore a large monastery complex in the nearby mountains where we can appreciate Tibetan Buddhist architecture and art.
– Return to Chengdu.
To be on the lookout for specific dates, check the main trips page or sign up for my mailing list or contact me. For any questions or inquiries, contact email@example.com or use the contact form.